Taste Testing - Update

Update - March 14, 2014:

Doing a taste test on all the jars this evening.  I'm using a tea spoon and just getting enough liquor to coat my tongue so I can taste all the flavor without getting drunk.  

First up, the Carob, distinct odor and taste of raw carob with a strong chocolate and coco like flavor, sweet, base liquor almost totally neutralized in both odor and taste.  Color is like a Anejo tequila or ice tea, very nice, I think making a full batch of this would be very good.

Jujube - Also sweet, leather, musk like odor and taste, very interesting, earthy.  Good, better blender than a straight in my opinion.  Leather, earthy, sweet.  Both are hot, I'm going to have to test the alcohol percentage, they are going down very warm.

Next  up the travarica with no pelin in it, color is of white wine, the aroma is citrus, lemon and mint. Taste is citrus, lemon, very light mint, think of a unsweetened limoncello but with slightly more complexity.  If I had to do this one again I'd pull out the lemon peel after a week or two.  Its good, don't get me wrong, its just overpowering at this point.  This will be good in the freezer all summer long.  

Now on to the travarica with pelin in it.  Color is darker than Anejo but not quite cognac.  The aroma is of anise seed with a pinch of lemon on the back end.  Wow, first taste is sweet, anise, burst of fruit then followed by the distinct bitterness of the pelin.  The bitterness is long lasting and powerful maybe slightly overpowering but not unbearable.  I think another few weeks in the sun and the sweetness from the carob and fig will offset some of the bitterness.  Looking forward to the next tasting.  

Finally the pelinkovac.  Color is of cognac, dark like a barrel aged liquor.  The aroma is of herbs, anise, lemon, fig and some grape like sweetness on the nose. Distinct herb smell, definitely the pelin coming through and possibly the sage. Taste is of anise, very sweet, herbs, hot, going down I feel every last drop till it hits my stomach. The bitterness is off set by the sweetness, I'm shocked how sweet the liquor is, it caught me off guard. I'll have to review what all I added to this jar, I know I basically doubled the dry fruit going in which is probably where the sweetness is coming from. The bitterness was not as long lasting and I do get some mint at the very end.

Two more weeks and we'll try again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orahovica - Nocino - Walnut Liquor

Travarica Medicinal Liquor

Pelinkovac